One of my objectives this year was to find two French upholstered chairs for my studio. My plan was to buy some at Round Top this spring, but I ran across these on Craig’s List a couple of weeks ago and purchased them instead.
Here is the other chair. Actually, they are settees and I have them sitting across from each other for now. My plan is to recover them, probably in a white linen and beef up the cushions a bit. The room needs painting and I have some art work in mind for the wall behind this chair which is empty.
Craig’s List is a wonderful source to furnish your home on a budget. I have been shopping estate sales, garage sales, and flea markets for decades and Craig’s List since it arrived on the screen. I have made some fantastic purchases and occasionally made some purchases that I consider mistakes. I thought that I would leave you with some of my tips that I have learned while shopping off the beaten path.
My two cents worth:
- Have a firm price in mind that you are willing to pay.
- Research earlier listings to see if the item that you are looking at has been listed before. If it has, consider that it may be over priced or damaged. Damage isn’t always visible in the listing photos.
- Be objective: Don’t fall in love with the piece before you view it. Be willing to walk away from it if it is not in good condition. I have found that sellers will often over value the condition of their items
- Consider how much restoration will be involved (i.e. reupholdstry, cleaning, refinishing, etc.). The final cost might not be worth it to you.
- Don’t be afraid to make an offer that is less than the asking price. Unless there is something wrong with the piece, It is not insulting to offer 10%-20% less. If the item is not in as good of condition as you had hoped consider what you think a fair market value would be and make your offer based accordingly.
- If you make an offer and the seller doesn’t accept, consider what it is worth to you. Assuming that the piece is in good condition, it my be worth it to you to pay a little more to have something that you will love and that will serve you well.
I hope that you will find these tips helpful next time you consider a second-hand purchase.
Anita at Cedar Hill Ranch offered some very good Craig’s List shopping tips too. You will want to check them out!
Note: The seller of these chairs will be having an estate sale coming up soon in Dallas. I will post details as they are available. Carol Hicks Bolton fans will find some absolutely wonderful pieces! There will be some beautiful antiques and Aidan Gray finds as well. And much, much more…
Have a great week!
I will be partying with the following gracious hostesses:
- Cedar Hill Ranch
- Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
- Michele @ Primp Junction for Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
- Kim @ Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
- No Minimalist Here
- Home Stories A to Z
- Kathleen @ Faded Charm for White Wednesday
- Green Willow Pond
- Liz @ The Bramblebrry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday
- Pamela @ F.M.F.P.T.Y. for Treasure Hunt Thursday
- Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips, and Tidbits
- Beyond the Picket Fence for Under $100 Linky Party
- Debra @ Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration
- Courtney @ French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
- Sherry @ The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
- Jennifer @ Jennifer Rizzo Inspired Living
- Miss Mustard Seed
- Funky Junk Interiors
- Savvy Southern Style